A good laminator is an essential part of any classroom or small business. Laminators are devices that laminate paper. Reinforcing it with a plastic shell so it will last for years and years. Students and business alike find a lot of value in being able to laminate posters, assignments, business cards, legal documents and anything else that is important.
So what are the best laminators for teachers who want to laminate different sizes of paper? If you’re looking to buy a laminator here are somethings you should consider.
Laminators are devices that are quite affordable but they do have a wide range in prices. From entry level laminators that can have prices around the $20-50 mark all the way up to an industrial device made for large projects that can cost well over $1000. It simply depends on your needs.
When looking to purchase a laminator you want to get the most cost effective device and this purchase guide will help you.
Laminator Size (9 to 27 inches)
Laminators can vary in size, weight and the type of paper they can laminate. Some laminators are for home use and can only laminate paper that is 9 inches in width. Other laminators can laminate paper up to 13 or 14 inches. Large commercial laminators can laminate up to 27 inches wide.
Laminator sheets need to be taken into consideration. A laminator sheet can come in 3 mil or 5 mil. “Mil” is simply an indication of thickness. Laminator sheets can have a wide range of prices due to the machine they are designed to work with as well as their size.
The 6 Best Laminators for Teachers
We have reviewed various options as a way to compare their price, performance and size. The 6 best laminators for teachers are:
- Amazon Basics Laminator
- Blusmart Laminator
- Fellows Laminator
- Scotch Thermal Laminator
- Abox Laminator
- GBC Foton
Amazon Basics Laminator – Best Budget Laminator
This is the best budget laminator. With a thin, sleek design. This light weight laminator is easily able to laminate your standard piece of paper at either 3 mil or 5 mil. The great thing about the Amazon Basics Laminator is it’s built in flexibility.
It has a max size of up to 9 inches. But this laminator can laminate all sorts of sizes smaller than this. Legal papers, passport photos and business cards can all be laminated with ease using this machine.
- An excellent laminator for a home office or a small classroom.
- Sleek design, budget friendly and can laminate multiple sizes of paper.
- Fast warm up time so you can laminate your projects fast.
- Designed for personal use. If you’re going to want to laminate 20 or 30 pages in one sitting this device is not designed for that.
Blusmart Laminator – The Best Laminator For Teachers
The Busmart Laminator is the best laminator for teachers. It’s designed for both professional and personal use which makes it the perfect laminator for a class.
This laminator is a multi-purpose device that can laminate, be used as a paper cutter, has a built in hole puncher, can round corners and it can laminate paper that is 13 inches or smaller.
If you’re in the market for a quality laminator that can be used to make flash cards, create laminated items with rounded designs and is large and powerful enough to take on DIY projects as well as more professional documents like legal documents or passport photos, the Busmart is our top choice on the list.
- Has a 13 inch design so it can laminate paper of all sizes at both 3 mil and 5 mil.
- Built in paper cutter so you can trim what you laminate with ease.
- Has a hole puncher which is perfect for creating flash card books and other handy learning tools for class.
- Can round corners if you choose instead of having pointy, sharp laminated corners.
- Like most mid range laminators, this uses more expensive laminating sheets.
Fellows Laminator – The Best Laminator for an Office
We find the Fellows Laminator to be the best option overall for an office setting where you will be laminating on a regular basis. While we liked the Amazon Basics Laminator as a budget friendly option, the Fellows Laminator is designed for work related purposes more than home use.
The Fellows Laminator has a max size of up to 12 inches. When using it please make sure to have enough space for the laminated paper to safely come out. What we liked about this laminator was that you’re able to do a lot of consecutive lamination without the machine over heating.
Even if it was to overheat it has a built in shut down system to prevent you from breaking this device. As previously stated it can laminate paper up to 12 inches in width at either 3 mil or 5 mil.
- This laminator is designed for a school where you’ll be laminating on a regular basis.
- This laminator can laminate paper up to 12 inches or smaller.
- Durable design with safety features built in to keep it working in top order.
- Uses more expensive laminating sheets
Scotch Thermal Laminator – Best Starter Laminator
The Scotch Thermal Laminator is your best starer laminator. If you’ve never owned or uses a laminator before, this device is ideal because it is simple to use and easy to setup.
This laminator is designed for home use and can laminate paper up to 9 inches in width at 3 mil or 5 mil depending on your laminating sheet. If you have a home office and are wanting a laminator for light use, the Scotch Thermal Laminator is a great choice.
- Excellent starter laminator for home use.
- Designed for light, casual use in a home office.
- Works as well as more expensive laminators but only for a short time due to over heating.
- Designed for home use. If you’re wanting to laminate multiple pieces of paper this not a good choice as it works fine for 9 to 12 minutes before over heating.
- When it starts to over heat it warps the laminating sheets.
- The actual lamination is of mediocre quality.
Abox Laminator – Best Home Office Laminator
The Abox Laminator is large, heavy laminator that can laminate paper up to 13 inches or smaller. This laminator is an excellent option for both the classroom or home office. While we like Busmart a bit more for the classroom, the Abox Laminator has a lot of great features as well.
The Abox has a proprietary double roller design that enables this laminator to laminate paper with minimal noise (and smell). The Abox laminator is also a 3 in 1 device.
The Abox can laminate paper, cut paper and round corners with ease. It also has a built in child lock for the paper cutter.
If you’re needing to laminate posters, legal documents, business cards, whatever. This laminator is an excellent choice for the home office as it can take care of both work and school related tasks.
- Consumer grade laminator. Perfect for the home office as it can take on multiple projects.
- The actual lamination is high quality. No warping or peeling. Just quality lamination.
- It is a 3 in one device enabling you to take care of all your lamination needs in one easy device.
- The paper cutter is of low quality and a cheap paper cutter would do much better than the one included with this device. The Busmart’s paper cutter for comparison is better.
GBC Foton – The Heavy Duty Laminator
This is professional grade laminator. It’s a step down from a commercial grade laminator. As such this device is the best laminator on the list for large projects but is a bit excessive for for most buyers.
The GBC Foton laminator really excels at ease of use. With other laminators, the actual lamination process is slow and time consuming as you need to keep feeding the paper and lamination pouches in.
With the GBC Foton you can simply put a stack of up to 30 pieces of paper you want laminated into the back feeder and the GBC Foton will take care of the rest.
If you have a small business where you’re laminating paper on a regular basis and you need a laminator for large projects the GBC Foton is your best option. This thing is designed to make laminating large projects easy.
- Ease of use. You can place up to 30 documents you want laminated, press start and you’re done. The GBC will do the rest.
- No pouches. This devices uses auto threading film cartridges that are easy to replace.
- This is a professional grade laminator and it could be a bit price prohibitive for some.
The Best Laminators for Teachers
So there you have it. Those are the best laminators for teachers. We covered a wide range of options from the most budget friendly, to laminators designed for one off use, to the ideal laminator for a small business.
For most teaching professionals, creative types and those with a home office the best laminator would be the Blusmart. It’s the right combination of size, performance and features.