Teaching in the classroom, abroad or online a rolling cart can be a helpful accessory for any teacher. What is the best rolling cart for a teacher? Rolling carts come in many shapes and sizes but they are all wheeled pieces of equipment that allows you to organize your teaching supplies with ease.
Having a high quality rolling cart makes keeping your classroom material (like props and your headphones) separate from the rest of your day to day items an easy process. Even if you’re not a teacher, having a rolling cart for your classroom or home office makes transporting supplies from one place to another a simple process.
What do you need in a utility cart as an online teacher? Easy. You’re going to want to look for something that has the following characteristics:
Can Fold Up For Easy Carry
You’re going to want a utility cart that is easy pack up and store when need be. We’re not working in a woodworking shop or an electronics store where we have to haul heavy items everyday. We’re teachers and we need something that we can pack up and take with us when we’re on the go to help keep us organized.
Good Organizational Layout
An ideal utility cart for a teacher should be designed with an optimal layout for teaching related materials. Props, books, markers, your white board, stuffed animals, random toys, flash cards and anything else you think would be helpful for your online class (or in person class). The best rolling carts for teachers should be designed for the needs of a teacher with the right compartments to organize everything effectively.
Rolling carts for teachers should be lightweight and easy to carry. For most of use this is so obvious, but you would be surprised by how heavy some of the rolling carts we reviewed when coming up with our list. Some carts should be big and heavy, particularly if you’re working in IT. But we’re teachers, we need something light and mobile.
Collapsible Handle and wheels
Fun fact, luggage did not come with a collapsible handle (and wheels) until the 1980’s. Today, there are still rolling utility carts that don’t come with some sort of retractable handle. You’re going to want this and wheels (obviously) because it makes your utility cart mobile.
Best Rolling Carts For Online Teachers
You need a rolling utility cart as an online teacher or as an ESL teacher. Here are our favorite 7 rolling carts for teachers:
- ECR4Kids MemoryStor Universal Rolling Cart
- Quik Cart Two-Wheeled Collapsible Handcart
- ECR4Kids 3-Tier Metal Rolling Utility Cart
- Darice 1210-27 Rolling Craft Cart
- Office Depot Mobile Folding Cart With Lid
- Seville Classics 6-Drawer Steel Mesh Organizer Cart
- Husky Rolling Tool Tote Bag
MemoryStor Universal Rolling Cart – Best Overall Rolling Cart For a Teacher
Leading off the list is the ECR4Kids MemoryStor Universal Rolling Cart. This rolling cart is designed for the busy teacher in mind. With an excellent organizational layout for arts and crafts, books and other sorts of teaching material. The MemoryStor rolling cart is a solid choice for any teacher looking to get organized and be able to take their class on the go.
- Designed with teachers in mind. The layout is good for various types of teaching material.
- Over 30 different compartments with this tote bag.
- Has wheels and a handle, making it easy to take with you on the go.
- Made of cheap material. As a teacher, it’s fine. But often people buy this bag with the intention to use it for more heavy duty stuff like tools and DIY projects.
- If you’re wanting more of a cart setup, I would skip on this as it’s designed to be part bag and part cart.
Quick Cart Handcart – Heavy duty cart for storing all your teaching materials in one place
The Quick Cart Handcart is ideal if you’re looking for something to keep all your teaching materials in one place for those times when you’re wanting to pick up your classroom and go, or if you want to keep your classroom nice and tidy by putting away all your teaching materials in one item.
- Lightweight and heavy duty.
- This thing folds up nice and well for easy storage in a closet of the back of a car when not in use.
- Makes carrying items simple and easy. No need for a heavy backpack.
- Lacks organization. This thing is just a big box that allows you to store all your teaching items with ease. Perfect if you’re looking to have something to store all your teaching materials when on the go or to make your home classroom nice and neat when not teaching.
ECR4Kids 3-Tier Metal Rolling Utility Cart – A no frills hand cart for teaching
This is your standard, three tiered rolling cart that can allow you to put numerous supplies on the cart. It comes with a handle and wheels. It’s perfect for the online teacher who wants to create a professional home classroom and needs that extra storage.
- Easy to assemble.
- Well made material and your choice of colors.
- It’s a simple, sturdy, well made hand cart. Ideal for adding extra storage to your classroom.
Not designed for mobility. Perfect for mobility at a school or within your home, but this item is not designed to be thrown in the back of a car or on an airplane like other items on this list.
Darice Handcart – Excellent bag with a lot of storage
Another excellent handcart with tons of storage and organization for the busy, professional teacher. This bag is well made and comes with a lot of storage options and compartmentalization features. Perfect for organizing your toys, props and various teaching gear.
- Designed for teachers first and foremost. As such, it comes with the right storage and organization options.
- Lightweight and mobile. You can actually pack this rolling cart up and take it with you on the go.
- Designed for teachers. As such, it’s a poor option if you’re going to be needing this for more heavy duty stuff.
- Can be difficult to move if you put too much in it.
Office Depot Mobile Folding Cart – A lightweight, affordable fold up cart
Want a budget friendly option? Want a simple cart that is designed for hauling things from one place to another with ease? Looking to store all your different teaching materials in one place? Then you may want to checkout the Office Depot Mobile Folding cart!
- Heavy duty. You can store a lot of items in this and it will allow you to haul anything with ease.
- Simple design. It’s a box with wheel and a handle, but it’s built to last.
- Comes with a lid that can be used as additional desk space when teaching.
- Again, like other folding carts, it lacks the organizational features of other hand carts.
- If you’re looking for something with multiple compartments for storage, this folding cart is not for you.
Seville Classics 6-Drawer Steel Mesh Organizer Cart
Your standard rolling cart that is simply perfect for any home office or classroom. With 6 drawers and a tall body, this thing makes organization a simple process that is also easy to move around. Increase your productivity and make your classroom more organized with this simple, elegant steel mesh organizer cart.
- 6 drawers provides for a lot of simple organization for your teaching items when you’re working in your home office.
- It’s lightweight, sturdy and moves around with ease.
- It has a nice flat top that can be used for additional teaching space.
- Not exactly mobile. It’s ideal for a home office or classroom setting. If you’re looking for something that you can take with you on the go, this cart is not it.
- Designed to hold small lightweight items. Perfect for a teacher, not ideal if you’re planning on stacking this thing with heavy items.
Husky Rolling Tool Tote Bag – The Heavy Duty Option
The Husky Rolling Tool Tote Bag is a heavy duty bag design to haul around tools for DIY projects and the home craftsman. This bag is well made and built to last. If you’re looking for the most well built, highly functional rolling tote bag consider the Husky Rolling Tool Tote Bag.
- This bag is built to last. It has a lot of compartments and provides excellent organization.
- It’s tough and sturdy. This will be the last rolling bag you buy.
- It’s not designed for the teacher. It’s made to haul tools. But can be re-purposed for a teacher.
- Some may consider this too much for a teacher. But if you’re looking for something solid and durable, this is it.
Conclusion – Best Rolling Carts For Teachers
So these are some of the best rolling carts for teachers. We tried to create a list of the best rolling carts for teachers based on different needs and wants. Some online teachers value mobility and the ability to pack everything up nice and neat into an easy to carry bag. Other teachers would prefer to have a standard, no frills rolling cart to help keep their home office and classroom nice and organized.
Whatever the case may be, make sure to refer to this list when considering purchasing a rolling cart as a teacher.