You’re required to use a pair of headphones when you teach online.
You’re also required to use a headset for online classes as a student. So what pair should you get? The ideal pair will be one that is on the smaller side, preferably over the ear with a microphone.
You don’t want some big goofy looking headset made for gamers. You want a pair of headphones because you’re a teacher and you want to look professional when you’re teaching online. Here are my requirements for headphones:
Quality headphones for listening to music, watching streaming movies or playing video games tend to be big and bulky. This is fine for most instances, but not as an online teacher. You want the student to be focused on YOU and the lesson, not your goofy giant headphones you have on.
High quality headphones provide excellent audio. We don’t need excellent audio, we need good audio because we’re basically doing video calls. For this type of setup you don’t need a top of the line pair of headphones, but you also want to avoid super cheap headphones where all of a sudden the left side of your headphones break and you can only hear out of one ear.
You need to test this with your laptop. If your on board audio for your laptop is acceptable and you know your class environment will be quite then you can use a pair of headsets for online teaching that don’t have a built in microphone.
The advantage of having a microphone though is the noise cancelling aspect. Students will hear only you and nothing else.
Not too expensive
You can get a good pair of microphones that can do the job at an affordable price. We will show you what most teachers approve of as well as different options to choose from below.
When you’re teaching online, you’re going to be wearing these headphones for hours each day. Because of this, I prefer “on the ear” style headphones instead of “over the ear” headphones. The choice is up to you of course.
Best Headsets For Online Classes
So you need some headphones for online teaching or your online class. The following are the 6 best headphones and headsets for online teaching.
- MPow PC Headsets
- Mpow Noise Canceling
- Logitech H390
- Plantronics DSP400
- Cyber Acoustic
- Marshall Major III
- Sony Noise Cancelling
MPow PC Headsets – Best and Most Popular Headsets for Online Teaching
MPow is a brand that is relatively unknown outside the video chat headset space. These are some of the most popular headsets for everyday use by professionals for Skye calls, webinars, call centers and online teaching. A bit bigger than other brands, these provide comfortable over the ear styling an decent noise cancellation.
- Very Cheap and expendable.
- Multipurpose. Provides a bit better sound than the H390’s.
- A good “backup” pair of headphones or your main driver for class.
- Designed for video chat. Not ideal for music or gaming.
- The most durable “cheap” headsets” on the list.
MPow Noise Cancelling – Excellent on the ear headphones
We are quite impressed with the design, comfort and usability of this pair of noise cancelling headsets. They are an on the ear style that come with a built in microphone with a design emphasis on noise cancelling.
This is ideal if you’re teaching from your home classroom or office, but you still have a bit of potential noise in the background to deal with. They have good build quality but are on the smaller side so if you have a larger head they may be uncomfortable.
Last, they come with a backlit mute button to easily turn off the microphone. They only thing we did not like about these headphones is that they do jut out a bit from your head, unlike the MPow PC headsets which fit the shape of your head better.
- Comfy and small with an on the ear design.
- Acceptable noise cancelling for online teachers.
- Solid build quality overall with audio controls.
- For low priced headphones, don’t expect stellar audio quality for music.
Logitch H390 – Best Cheap Headset
Need a pair of headsets? Don’t want to spend a lot? Just using them for online class and that’s it? These Logitech headsets are a solid choice used by call center professional from around the world. Ideal for Skype calls, video chat and online teaching. Don’t expect stellar quality audio for music.
- Good audio and a solid, reliable microphone.
- Small form factor. This pair of headsets won’t be distracting in the online class environment.
- Comes with an attached microphone and a mute button.
- Only useful for video calls
- Can become uncomfortable when worn for long periods of time.
- Mediocre sound overall.
- Logitech products have poor build quality and tend to break after a year or so usually.
Plantronics DSP400 Foldable – Best Mid Range
While not as cheap as the first two on this list, the Plantronics headset provide excellent sound, comfort and a noise cancelling microphone unlike the first two.
A noise cancelling microphone is helpful because it won’t pick up other sounds in your environment. Only your voice. If you’re looking for something not too expensive, but something that is also a step up from a pair of cheap headsets, the Plantronics fodable headset is a great choice
- Very comfortable.
- Excellent sound. It’s multipurpose: Music, gaming, chat.
- Can fold up! Easy to pack and take on the go.
- Not cheap, but not to expensive.
Cyber Acoustic – Cheap Noise Cancelling Option
These headphones come with a built in microphone and provide some of the best noise cancelling we’ve heard at this price point. What’s also quite helpful about the build in microphone is that it’s adjustable with regards to it’s position in relation to your mouth.
Last, these things are design specifically for the online classroom and teaching environment. With a durable build, built in volume control and a plug and play design, the Cyber Acoustic headphones are great choice for online teachers.
- Small and lightweight.
- Comfortable design with good audio.
- Noise cancelling microphone for clear audio.
- They are not made for listening to music or YouTube. The sound is tinny with no base.
Marshal Major III – Small, stylish over the ear headphones
Marshal Major is an iconic brand in the music industry. These headphones are not too big and are quite stylish. They provide excellent sound and last for 5+ hours on a full charge.
They are bluetooth enabled so you can connect to your phone or laptop with no issue. They also come with a wire to plug into your laptop for some amazing audio.
- Excellent audio. You can use them for class, music or movies.
- Cool design. Not big, bulky or nerdy looking.
- Easy to pack up.
- Connects via blue tooth or a wired connection to your laptop.
- No microphone. You’ll need to check your onboard audio or get a USB microphone.
Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones – Small, stylish design, wired
These are affordable, basic headphones for general use. Stylish design, small and light weight. Easy to pack up and they are wired which makes them ideal for online teaching.
Lastly, they do a solid job of blocking out ambient noise given their price while at the same time providing superior sound and being quite comfortable for long use.
- Small, wired headphones.
- Stylish and compact.
- Good audio and they’re noise cancelling.
- No microphone. Check the quality of your onboard audio or get a USB microphone.
So there you have it. These are some of the best headsets for online class. If you’re in need of a pair of headphones for online teaching I would suggest getting a decent pair with a microphone if you already own a pair of headphones you really like. Most online teachers choose the MPow PC headsets as they are the right balance of price, size and performance.