Backpacks are of course a personal choice in terms of style. But teachers do have particular needs in a backpack that fit the nature of our work. A backpack for a teacher (and really any working professional) needs to look good, be not too big, have padding for a laptop but not too small.
Also, we’re also not going on a camping trip or an expedition into the mountains. We don’t need a huge backpack but we do need something with enough space than something designed for a 10 inch tablet and a book. Last, it also needs to look cool and match with professional attire.
Essential things to look for in a backpack
The right size
Backpacks can become quite large and unnecessarily cumbersome. If you’ve ever traveled no doubt you’ve seen the backpacks some travelers choose to use as their everyday carry. It’s inappropriate for a teacher.
You need something larger than a should bag because you’re going to be carrying a laptop, accessories, papers and even teaching props. But you don’t need something designed for long term travel.
Looks good and matches the working adult
As a teacher, you need something designed for professional use because a lot of us also have day jobs at schools. A backpack for a teacher should match professional attire but be flexible enough for causal use.
Well thought out organization
Backpacks for working professionals should have the right organization and storage capacity built in. It should have a place to put your laptop and all your various accesories with ease. It should also have the space to put everything without maxing the backpack out in terms of storage.
Padding for your technology
Laptops for teachers are expensive and any backpack you choose must have sufficient padding for the laptop slot. You don’t want to run the risk of breaking your machine due in part to poor protection from your backpack.
Best Laptop Backpacks for Teachers
A backpack is a great choice for a teacher to stay organized. Here are the 8 best backpacks for teachers and any sort of working adult available:
1. Matein Professional Backpack – Best Budget Backpack
The Matein backpack is at the top of the list for a whole bunch of reasons. Low price point, great design, durable and excellent organization. If you’re in the market for an awesome backpack for both travel and work then we can’t emphasis how much we love this backpack for teachers.
For the price, the Matein backpack exceeded our expectations. Weather resistant, tons of pockets and ability to store large items like a laptop. It’s also light weight and it’s an alternative to your standard basic black backpack. I for one prefer black backpack but if you want something that stands out a bit more, get this classy design.
- Water resistant.
- Power bank slot built in.
- Comes in one color.
2. Everki Atlas – The Professional’s Backpack
If you’re a frequent traveler, teacher or working professional the Everki Atlas is designed for you. This large backpack for a teacher and working adult has the right design so when it’s packed with all your gear, it weights down on your shoulders more so than your lower back like a lot of other backpacks do when packed.
It’s also large enough for you to comfortably carry all your stuff. As an online teacher myself I need a backback that can allow me to store my laptop, a small whiteboard, a tablet, random accessories as well as props and anything else I need.
With a great design for both men and women, the Everki Atlas is the backpack is perfect if you need a quality backpack for teaching and traveling for years to come.
- Plenty of storage for a teacher to stay organized.
- Weight balance with this is perfect. Can load it up and it’s not uncomfortable to war.
- Excellent for men or women.
- No power bag feature.
3. Tumi Voyageur – Beautiful Backpack for Female Teachers
This is a gorgeous backpack your friends and strangers will ask you about. With a stunning design for the teacher and traveler in us all, the Tumi Voyageur has that right mix of storage, design and organization you’ve been looking for.
Need a backpack that can carry your gym clothes, a pair of shoes, teaching props, a laptop, snacks and anything else a teacher needs then this bag is an excellent choice. It’s a professional looking enough to use as a teacher but at the same time has a great look for a work bag.
- Ample storage.
- Great design.
- Medium size but excellent carrying capacity.
- Designed for women.
4. OGIO Metro Pack – Large carry all for men
I was turned on to the brand OGIO during my time at PWC before I went to Thailand to teach English and follow the the ESL path. OGIO makes excellent backpacks for male teachers in particular because they are so large.
The thing I love about the OGIO brand is that these things have A LOT of carry capacity. I can store my 15 inch laptop, my tablet, a white board, props, clothing, random toys I use in the online class all with ease. If you’re a guy and are looking for a quality mid range backpack check out the Metro Pack by OGIO.
- Professional design. You can take this backpack to work and not stand out for all the wrong reasons.
- A ridiculous amount of storage. Perfect for travel and teaching.
- Heavy. Even with just a laptop and accessories some may find this to be a bit heavy.
- More geared for men than women.
5. Yorepek Laptop Bag – The BIG Backpack
This backpack is the backpack for anyone looking for something big. I know most teachers don’t want or need anything too big, but no list would be complete without at least mentioning all your options.
The Yorepek laptop bag is large bag with a sleek design. Black accented by red, this bag is more geared for teachers and any sort of professional. It’s water resistant, has a nifty headphone hole at the top and comes with a USB charger.
- The biggest backpack on the list. This thing is awesome for storage.
- A built in USB charger comes in quite handy in random situations.
- Water resistant.
- Neutral design for men and women.
- Even when fully loaded, it’s still comfortable.
- Big and heavy. Just know what you’re getting.
6. KROSER Backpack – Stylish Day Pack For Teachers
The last two backpacks for teachers we’re seriously heavy duty. The Kroser backapack is instead a nice mid range backpack both in terms of size and price. Designed to double as a day pack but still be professional enough for a teacher. This backpack has a lot of useful design features you’re going to love.
While it may look like a tote bag, it actually comes with a padded back and straps because it is in fact a backpack. While not the most sophisticated on the inside in terms of storage, it gives you enough storage space for both a laptop and your teaching material.
- Great lightweight design.
- Built in USB port for a power bank.
- Can fit a 15 inch laptop and gear with ease.
- Stylish and professional. Perfect backpack for women for meetings and an office environment.
- It’s designed for women, if you’re a guy keep looking.
- It’s a medium sized backpack. If you want big, this backpack is not it.
7. Modoker Vintage – The Budget Backpack
This is one of the most affordable backpacks on the market today. While not the most stylish, it has enough style and design to fit a teacher. It’s really just a simple, no frills medium sized backpack designed to carry your stuff around with ease.
Durable, lightweight and simple. If you’re one of those people who just want a simple and affordable backpack, this is it.
- Perfect for anyone who just wants a simple affordable backpack.
- No bells and whistles. Water resistant? No. USB port? It’s clunky. Can you store a lot in it? Kind of.
8. Unique Retro – A rugged backpack for men
While we are teachers, not every male teacher is going to want your basic black backpack nor do we want something that is a bit too stylish and effeminate. This backpack is a cool, rugged backpack that is more geared for the traveling online teacher who does not need to be taking a backpack to a classroom or office meeting everyday.
If you’re wanting something a bit different than what everyone else is using, this leather wonder from Unique Retro is a fun choice because it has excellent organizational capacity built in and it’s leather.
- Rugged, masculine backpack for men.
- Pockets for excellent storage. Awesome for any male online teacher.
- Medium sized so it’s comfy for everyday use.
- It’s leather backpack. No bells and whistles with this one.
9. Himawari Laptop Backpack – Minimalistic and stylish
This stylish backpack is made of eco-friendly waterproof canvas and is soft, fashionable, and has an overall classic, minimalistic design that helps it stand out.
The bag’s reinforced edges and steel frame help keep the shape of the bag while ensuring its durability. Additionally, the padded back panel and adjustable shoulder straps make it comfortable to carry around with you.
This large backpack fits everything you need for a busy day, like your magazine, computer, tablet, glasses, wallet and keys. Plus there’s plenty of space for your phone , earphones , power bank and clothes.
- Not to heavy, stays upright so you can retrieve items easily.
- Pretty close to perfect, only real issue is you may not like the design or color patterns.
10. Kenneth Cole – Reaction Manhattan Commuter Slim
With an exterior made of beautiful, full-grain genuine Colombian leather that gets better with age and a lined interior that can resist daily wear and tear, this product is built to last.
This organizer has Anti-theft Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Blocking technology in its pockets to prevent radio waves from being transmitted from U.S. Passports and certain Credit/Debit cards.
This backpack features extra-padded, adjustable ergonomic straps along with a comfortable rear exterior panel made of air mesh for ultimate comfort while on the move. The back panel also has an airflow system to keep you cool and dry.
- Premium design and build quality.
- RFID tech built in to protect your data.
- Not vegan as it is made of leather.
11. Nomatic Travel Pack – A unique design
This backpack was designed with the modern traveler in mind but is a great choice for a working professional too. Each compartment has a cord pass through hole to make charging your devices easy and seamless.
The water bottle pocket is magnetic, expanding when you need it and snapping shut when you don’t. There is also a retractable key leash, as well as reflective ink on the front and back of the bag for safety purposes.
There are also 20 distinct pockets on this bag were each designed for a specific purpose, such as holding a notebook, valuables, or different items securely. The bag also has an RFID lockable security pocket and multiple mesh zipper pockets for smaller belongings.
- High quality design with a lot of storage
- Your data is well protected
- Heavy when empty, made worse when packed.
- We love the design, but are not happy with the whole “nomadic” branded word however.
12. Bopal 30L – Travel Backpack for Men
This bag is made from water-resistant microfiber leather and durable ballistic nylon. The massage and breathable back design will keep you cool and comfortable. With two zippers for double the security, this bag will keep your belongings safe and hidden. The perfect size for holding your essentials like a phone and wallet, this piece is both stylish and functional.
This stylish, yet functional business bag has a thickened shoulder strap design and comes equipped with a card slot pocket and storage ring – making it the perfect choice for the teacher on the go.
- Sleek, functional design.
- Lot’s of storage space for folders, your laptop, worksheets and more.
- Can store clothes as well.
- Not just for men, great choice for women too.
- Build quality is great, but it’s not the same as a $200+ backpack.
13. J World New York Sundance – Rolling Backpack
This stylish, small rolling backpack is a great choice for both a teacher or a university student. It comes with a telescoping handle, multiple design patterns to choose from, sufficient padding for your laptop which we find essential and of course it has well built wheels.
Overall this is a great standard backpack that also has rolling functionality built into it when you need to load up some heavy items.
- Small and stylish design.
- Great pocket and storage layout.
- Proper padding for electronics.
- It’s a bit small overall.
14. Matein Freewheel – Rolling business backpack
The water-resistant bottom panel and corner guards protect the bag from abrasion, while the metal swivel hooks and lockable zippers provide added security for your valuables. The backpack is easy to carry with corner-mounted wheels and adjustable straps.
Inside is a pocket for large laptops of up to 17 inches. In addition you get an extra zippered file compartment for documents like homework you need to grade. This backpack has room for everything you need, with compartments that make finding your things easier than ever. And don’t worry about being thirsty, this bag comes with mesh water bottle pockets so you can stay hydrated while you’re on the move.
- Professional design that’s perfect for teachers.
- Can double as a daypack or rolling backpack.
- Plenty of storage for your laptop, documents, passport and books.
- Can get quite heavy with the amount of items you can store in it.
15. Etronik – Lunch backpack for women
This backpack is made of durable polyester fabric, and the double metal zipper design is easy to open and close, while also being rip-resistant. The tote package handle makes it easier to carry, and the shoulder strap is made of breathable sponge material that won’t make you feel hot or sweaty in summer weather.
In addition, this backpack has a main pocket with a laptop sleeve compartment to protect laptops. The main compartment and elastic pocket can hold clothes and A4 files. The front pocket can be opened 180° for easy access to personal belongings.
Finally, the standout feature is the included lunch bag which is made of easy-to-clean aluminum foil and high quality polyester cloth. It can keep food warm or cool for 4 to 5 hours.
- Included lunchbox can easily store food (hot or cold) for up to 4 hours.
- Can be carried like a tote bag or a traditional backpack.
- Stylish with lot’s of storage.
- The lunchbox section is no leak proof so you’ll need to be cognizant of that.
16. Matein insulated – lunch backpack for women
Another great choice from Matien, this lunchbox backpack, the insulated lining of the lunch backpack, in conjunction with the aluminum layer, will keep your food warm and cold drinks chilled for up to 5 hours. This allows you to enjoy a great meals when it’s most convenient for you
The coolder compartment is for food storage or holding fruit which will free up space in the main area for other containers. If you’re not carrying food, then the insulated layer can be folded and stored away so that you have more room to carry items in the backpack itself.
This laptop backpack is an excellent combination of style, convenience and practicality at its finest.
- Stylish, practical and overall quite useful.
- Good storage for documents and your laptop.
- The lunch section is big and takes up space for your documents.
17. Ambor insulated cooler – Lunch backpack for men
This lunch backpack is made of high-quality polyester fabric that is water resistant and lightweight. The breathable mesh pads on the back and shoulder strap make it more comfortable to carry.
The lunch box inside the backpack is perfect for keeping food hot or cold on-the-go. An ice bag will keep drinks cold for up to 5 hours, and the water resistant material make it easy to clean.
The sponge partition in lunch backpack can be folded to make the upper and lower layers into one large main pocket. Whether you want to put the lunch bag inside the backpack or take it out separately, this backpack will fit all your needs.
Last, this backpack has an external USB port and an internal charging cable, making it easier to charge your cell phone or iPad on the go.
- Great design for a working professional.
- Spacious, great design how the lunchbox feature is incorporated into the design.
- Great for a teacher, not ideal if you’re looking for a lunchbox replacement however.
18. Simple Modern – Classic laptop backpack
The “legacy” backpack from Simple Modern is an ideal choice for any situation, whether you’re headed to school or work, taking a trip, or just running errands. It has plenty of space for everything you need with a laptop sleeve, tablet sleeve, and small pockets for pens and USBs.
Plus, two water bottle sleeves will help you stay hydrated on the go. The adjustable straps are padded for comfort and there’s even a travel strap so you can easily attach it to your luggage. Overall it’s a simple yet stylish backpack that’s perfect for a teacher looking to carry a laptop, books and some important documents.
- Sleek, minimalistic design perfect for office work.
- Logical, well thought out internal storage for both your tech gear and paperwork.
- The side pockets would be so much better if they had a small zipper to expand the size to hold larger sized water bottles.
19. Mark Ryden Business Backpack – The high tech choice
This ergonomic backpack has a back U shaped three-dimensional ventilation design that aids air convection, ventilation and heat elimination. The wide breathable mesh shoulder straps have plentiful sponge pads to help relieve stress from your shoulders. The back of the backpack has a luggage strap design which makes traveling easier. In addition, there are anti-theft pocket designs, shoulder strap non-slip buckles, card pockets and so forth.
The laptop compartment that can fit a large 17.3-inch or smaller device, plenty of space for clothes and other items in the main compartment, and numerous small pockets scattered throughout. This work and travel backpack also has hidden zipper pockets on the back of the bag to keep your valuables safe.
- A huge amount of storage inside with a lot of smart security features.
- Waterproof fabric and can attach to a piece of luggage with ease.
- Access your laptop, iPad very easily.
- In person, it’s a got a futuristic look to it which you may or may not like.
20. Samsonite Classic – Slim classic leather backpack
Samsocite’s classic leather collection offers sleek, modern designs while still maintaining a heritage look. This top-grain leather collection is both sophisticated and durable, making it perfect for business or everyday use. The slim backpack in this collection combines a classic with modern twist–offering comfort and ample organization ideal for the busy professional.
With its large main compartment, additional front panel organization pockets, this backpack is perfect for the busy professional who needs to carry around two laptops, work files, and other accessories. With plenty of space to spare, this backpack will make your life a lot easier.
- A classic, leather design perfect for a working professional.
- A lot of storage and a great layout for all your items.
- Excellent build quality.
- Not vegan as it’s made out of leather.
21. Bagsmart Woman’s Backpack – Work and travel
With its classy and stylish look, this backpack is perfect for work, school, travel, or even as a carry-on. Its lightness and fashionable appeal make it ideal for college student or a working women like a school teacher who are constantly on the go.
This laptop backpack is roomy enough to store a 15.6 inch laptop, plus a 12.9” iPad in the tablet slot. The large main compartment can hold daily supplies, textbooks, magazines, power bank and clothes with ease.
- Perfect if you’re needing something to switch between work and as a daypack.
- Lovely design with lot’s of pockets and storage.
- “Bagsmart” is embroidered in gold plated letters on the bag.
22. Flanko work backpack – Multipurpose design
This backpack is made of water-repellent nylon and metal, so it’s durable and stylish. It has enough room for everything you need, making it a great choice for daily commuting to school or business travel.
With this travel laptop backpack, you’ll never have to worry about losing anything at the bottom of your bag again. The rectangular frame keeps everything in place and easy to see, while the reinforced edges and steel frame provides durability.
You can also release the pressure on your back and shoulders with an adjustable, padded wide shoulder strap. The luggage strap can be easily inserted and fixed to the handle of a trolley or suitcase, making it very convenient to carry. With a USB charging port extended on the side of the backpack, you can easily charge your phone by connecting it to a power bank.
- Easy to access your items as this backpack stays upright.
- It’s big and can fit a lot of books, notebooks, your laptop and chargers.
- Can easily fit a large Starbucks thermal too.
- The straps are a bit small for such a spacious backpack but it’s not that big of an issue.
23. Velez Leather – Business Backpack for Men
A premium leather backpack made by Velez (a Columbian fashion company). Each product is hand made by artisans to create high quality products through devoted workmanship. These premium leather backpacks include a few key features teachers will love.
First it can easily fit a standard 15.6 inch laptop, is made out of leather that’s been smoothed and engraved as well a providing side pockets for both phones and water bottles. The straps are thick and inside you have multiple pockets to store different documents, chargers, personal items and more.
- Premium leather design.
- Water proof to some degree. Obviously it’s leather so be careful,
- Professional layout for a laptop, documents, books and more.
- It’s a leather backpack so don’t expect any advanced features like other options on this list.
Best Backpacks For Teachers – Conclusion
So that’s it for this list of excellent backpacks for teachers. What do you look for in a backpack as a teacher? As an online teacher myself and frequent traveler I particularly love my OGIO backpack. It’s not right for everyone, but it’s has the right mix of storage and professional appeal.
You have a lot of options, most teachers who want a backpack tend to opt for the the first two on the list. The affordable Matein and the more premium Atlas.